Sukhothai & Kanchanaburi

Hi! It’s me.

After a 6-hour bus ride on the 14th of December, we arrived in Sukhothai, the first capital of Siam. It was already late in the evening, so we checked in to our guesthouse, grabbed some dinner from a cafe next doors and then went back to our room for the night.

The next morning we rented bikes and headed to the Historical Park of Sukhothai. But to be honest, the park wasn’t anything so special, and the entrance ticket to each separate zone was 110 baht per person, which to my mind, was a bit too much. We first visited the central area, which had some interesting ruins but we saw them all in about 30 minutes and there wasn’t anything too noteworthy. We then went to the West zone, paid the entrance fee again, and just drove through without even properly stopping anywhere. From there we went to the North zone, only to see that it cost another 110 baht, so we just looked at the temple from behind the fence and then went back to the guesthouse. So, we spent the rest of the day just relaxing and booking our accommodations for Malaysia next month.

Sukhothai Historical Park
Sukhothai Historical Park

We had a flight to Bangkok early in the next morning and since there was no other way to get to the airport, we had to take the way too expensive airport taxi from our guesthouse. The Sukhothai airport, however, is the coolest airport I’ve ever been to. Since it only has three flights a day, it’s tiny, but it has an open-air waiting area with fountains and a garden around it and for some reason, there were even some zebras and giraffes there. Not even kidding. Once we got to Bangkok, we went to the bus station and let me tell you – the bus station in Bangkok is not a fun place. It is huge, chaotic and extremely confusing. Other than that, we were hoping to find something to eat before our bus to Kanchanaburi, but couldn’t find anything, so we just got some chips from 7-eleven.

When we got to Kanchanaburi, our hosts picked us up from the bus station and drove us to our Airbnb. The place where we stayed was across the river from the city centre, and the fastest way to get there was to cross the river with a small boat. So, after settling in, we took bicycles and went to the city for dinner.

The boat to the city

The next day we just decided to relax and do nothing for the whole day. So that’s exactly what we did until late afternoon. At 4 o’clock we went to the local fresh market with our hosts, since they had offered to show us how to make pad thai. We got some ingredients and went back home to cook the food, which turned out very delicious.

Since we didn’t really do anything that day, then the next day we decided to see as much as possible. So, we rented a scooter again and headed to the Wat Ban Tham temple first. The temple was on top of a hill and we had to climb a lot of stairs to get up there. And I mean a lot. And I don’t like stairs. I felt like Kung Fu Panda the whole time and my phone says that we climbed 62 floors that day.

The first half of the stairs went through the mouth of a dragon and led to a magnificent cave. I was already dead by then, but we continued climbing and eventually got to the very top of the mountain. It was very windy up there, but the view was great.

Wat Ban Tham (the dragon had stairs in it)
The view from the top

From there, we went to another temple – Wat Tham Khao Noi. To avoid climbing more stairs, we took a quite scary cable car upstairs. The temple itself was nice, but not quite as impressive as the previous one and the huge crowds of tourists kind of ruined it for me.

Wat Tham Khao Noi

Then, we went to see the Giant Tree, which is, well, a giant tree. And it really was giant. What I enjoyed more though were the three adorable puppies there.

The Giant Tree
One of the puppies

Then we went back to the city and spent quite a while searching for a restaurant. When we finally found a place and got our foods, neither of us liked it. So we left and went back to the place where we had eaten the first night. After eating, it was already getting dark outside, so we just took a quick look at a famous bridge which is a part of the Death Railway and then we went back home to pack so we could leave for Hua Hin the next day.

Stay tuned!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *